Thursday, March 10, 2011

Maricela

*Break from the story to tell this one*


Yesterday my roommate came home declaring that he had seen a “Bum Shift Change” earlier that day. The story he proceeded to tell me only confirmed what I thought this meant. He had seen a dude standing on a street corner holding a sign that says “Anything Helps.” A white truck then pulled up, another dude got out of the car and they exchanged the sign for the keys. The previous guy on the corner then drove off in the car and the dude who had pulled up was now holding a sign saying “Anything Helps.”

We hear a lot of stories about the needy just looking for free hand outs or not really wanting to help themselves. And to be honest, I haven’t yet decided where I stand on the issue of handing out money to people. Brian Fikkert says that when we give money to those on the streets we are just enabling bad habits, which I agree with. However, Shane Claibourne says that when it comes to people asking for money, we should error on the side of grace rather than the side of judgement and that we don’t ask car salesmen what they are going to be spending their money on, which I also agree with. At this time, I have no resolve for the discussed problem, but I do have a short story!

This is Maricela (yes I did creepily take this picture this morning on my phone while pretending to text). She stands at the corner of 15th and Court and sells breakfast burritos every morning. They cost $2.50 and come with with egg, cheese, potato, and your choice of meat. She is always smiling and happy to take your order (even though from the time you order to the time you are eating the burrito is about 30 seconds).

It is obvious that Maricela does not have much money, but she is doing something about it. Perhaps it might be difficult for her to get a job in an office making a lot of money but she understands that making some money every morning is better than nothing. Honestly, she’s probably making more an hour then I am at the rate she sells these things. I think she is in the middle of a transaction every time I walk by. But she’s not asking for any handouts. People need breakfast every morning and the biggest reason I buy burritos from her is because it’s fast and easy. And she treats her customers with love. She knows that I always get egg, cheese, and potato with a strip of green chili sauce inside. She remembers me every day and says hi to me whether I buy a burrito or not. She doesn’t remember my name but some people at work still call me Colton, so I don’t fault her for that.

Take note of the people you encounter throughout the day who are trying to make it for themselves. And if you work downtown, you should try to make it by 15th and Court for a breakfast burrito. I’ve grown quite fond of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment