Saturday, March 26, 2011

Eternity Can Begin Now




The Perry Bible Fellowship is a hilarious online comic. The fact that they have the word Bible in their name and this comic is about Heaven is purely coincidental as religion is rarely a theme in their comics.

I am currently reading "Love Wins" by Rob Bell. The recent chapter on Heaven has had me asking serious questions already. I think that I will have to read this book twice in order to really grasp all of the concepts. But as I was reading the book last night, I remembered this comic. It still makes me laugh but I think there is a ton of truth to this comic.

We have this idea that Heaven is a far away floaty place where things don't exist there as they do on Earth. Is there really no billiards table in Heaven? Do people play the piano in Heaven or do we only play harps? Can I play basketball in Heaven? I like basketball, I want to keep playing it even after I die. If God responded to me, "Do you really need to play basketball?" I would probably mutter, "this sucks."

Does Heaven begin here and now? Does Hell begin here and now? Do we still have to work in Heaven? Where did we come up with the concept that we suddenly know everything once we get to Heaven? Where did we come up with the concept that we don't care about certain things once we get to Heaven (such as why people we love might not be there, how the Earth came into existence)? Do we still eat in Heaven? Do we sleep in Heaven? God created those things to be pleasing, I feel like we would still do those things. If we do eat in Heaven can you eat food that is terrible for you?

I don't necessarily have answers to these questions. But I do like to ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment